Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Seriously?!

Ok, so I think those house flipping shows on HGTV are full of it. How is it possible that they can manage to get contractors to do major renovations on numerous parts of houses in a 3-4 week period, and we are now 12 weeks into our remodel and still not done?!

We started out ok, getting the floors downstairs done and the rooms repainted in a week's time. No biggie. Then, the next week we started the master bathroom remodel and new carpet upstairs. This was at the time of contract, explained to be 'most likely a 4 week job'. Yeah. Sure. Turned out not even close! The revised timeframe was 6 weeks, but still, thought we could live with it.

Some things that happened to help screw up the whole timeline (note: this may not add up to the ridiculous 5+ week delay we've experienced, but the waiting time gets us there and I'm too annoyed to add it up):
  • Nobody bothered to check the first 2 marble shower pans they got from the distributor to see if they were warped. One would think that after the first, you'd check the second. Nope. Instead, after the second, they ordered one to be made special, which was an unanticipated 4-5 day delay. Awesome.
  • The cabinet guy has apparently never timed how long it would take for his lacquer to dry on the cabinets. This also resulted in a 1-2 day delay. Fantastic.
  • The girl at the plumbing supply company clearly has no idea how to use a calendar or read her inventory system to get an accurate delivery date for our plumbing fixtures. This alone was a good week to 10 day delay. Wonderful.
  • The owner hired his dimwit brother to work for him. This has been a huge sore point for me. I get nepotism, but come on! This guy is an IDIOT. I'm guessing he was fired from other jobs, and his brother had no choice but to hire him unless he wanted to support him outright. We had a customer service issue that Mr. Nice Guy Jeff approached with him, and the owner brother actually called and told him not to complain to the diwmit brother, but to call him directly instead. Really? This man is an adult! Thank goodness I let Jeff handle it since if I had he'd probably have been in tears. (Everyone knows Jeff is nicer than me; I've accepted it. As has most of the rest of the world.) Marvelous.
  • The mirrors. Oh the mirrors. We bought cheap mirrors from Home Depot, and the cabinet guy (yes, the non-lacquer tester) made frames to match. Well, they hang up the mirrors by randomly nailing the frames to the studs from the front of the frame. Then assured us that their putty would match. Yeah right. It couldn't have been more horrible looking, so we made them redo the mirrors. This alone was a 2 week delay to have them redone. Why? Because somehow, Mr. Lacquer Man couldn't accurately match the stain!!! How is that possible? If you're using the same type of wood, the same method, and the same freaking stain color, how does it not match?! Grrreat.
  • Enter stage left: the dimwit brother. Well, the mirrors were FINALLY done. They came by to hang them up yesterday, and did what I asked. I'm still not 100% happy, but happy enough to move on with my life. Well, then comes the 'ma'am, we have bad news'. Me: 'No. Get out. You guys? Never!' Oh yes, the magical putty they used for the nail holes got onto the nicely lacquered countertop of my vanity (hey, I said he never checked how long it took to dry, I didn't say it looked bad) and they couldn't get it off. Umm, morons, why didn't you cover up the vanity first?! Perfect.
  • Then today, the straw that broke the camel's back. This morning, the manager, the dimwit brother and the painter Jose (we've got painter Jose, cabinet Jose, and handyman Jose....no joke. Apparently there is also a 4th Jose that they didn't require for this project.) show up to determine how to fix the vanity. Here it comes 'well, we'll need to take the whole vanity top off and take it to his shop to fix it.' Me: 'Really. How long will that take?' Them: 'It will be about a week to get it fixed'. WTF?!!!! A week? On top of everything else? Super.

So they're here now, dismantling my vanity. If they manage to break one more thing or do something else stupid, look for me on the WE channel show "Women Behind Bars", because that's where I'll be giving birth.

No comments: